Swedish forests grow by a total of 110 million cubic metres a year, and the net reduction of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as a result of Swedish forestry and wood production, is 60 million metric tons a year.
This is equivalent to the entire carbon dioxide emissions for the whole of the country. In the near future, Sweden’s forests will absorb double the amount of CO2 to what they do today.
According to Marie Larsson-Stern, Vice President of Silviculture, ”In Sweden, we increase the growth of the forest all the time. We have developed a model that is very efficient. We set aside 20 percent of our forest land for nature conservation, and that’s in different scales. But the rest of the forest, the 80 percent, we will use very efficiently, and in a long term sustainable way.”
The Environmental Atlas of Europe is a UNEP-EEA-ESA joint project showcasing communities responding to environmental change across Europe. The films present a series of these inspirational stories about how people are responding to climate change and in so doing, transforming their lives for a more sustainable future.
Produced by Ace & Ace, Denmark, in cooperation with the European Environment Agency (EEA), United Nations Environment Programme UNEP and the European Space Agency (ESA).